Electronic Arts, the world's leading developer and publisher of videogames, today announced that based on internal tracking, two football titles launched in July and August have broken records. Madden NFL 2004 has sold through more than two million units in just over three weeks. NCAA Football 2004 has sold through close to one million units.
"The data we're getting from retailers indicates this could be another record breaking year for Madden NFL and NCAA Football," said EA Senior Vice President of Marketing Frank Gibeau. "The season is just beginning and serious fans have already been to the store twice for football games made by EA SPORTS."
Major retailers have confirmed a record-breaking launch. "Based on the first three weeks of sales across all platforms, Madden NFL 2004 is the fastest selling game in the history of EBGames," said Jeff Griffiths, President and CEO.
"EA broke the record," said GameStop President and Chief Operating Officer Dan DeMatteo. "Madden's first week numbers made it the fastest-selling game we've ever had in our stores."
Based on internal tracking, EA estimates:
- Both games are maintaining strong momentum at retail.
- To date, total sales of the two EA SPORTS football games are just below three million units.
- Madden is the #1 football title on the PlayStation 2.
- Madden is the #1 football title on the Xbox.
- Madden is the #1 football title on the Nintendo GameCube.
- Madden is the #1 football title on the PC, the Game Boy Advance and the original PlayStation.
- NCAA Football 2004 is the #2 football title on all platforms.
- Both games are currently tracking ahead of the record volume established in 2002, when independent data showed they were the number one and number two selling football titles with a collective category market share of 82.1 percent.
- Historically, sports represent roughly 27 percent of the market for games in North America. Football titles represent roughly 28 percent of the sports category.
- In the past six weeks, EA SPORTS football titles have registered 200,000 new user accounts to play online through the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system.
"We couldn't be happier with the way this game has been received by fans and critics," said EA's Tiburon Studio General Manager Steve Chiang. "Gaming critics have overwhelmingly chosen Madden NFL 2004 as the top rated game and we've achieved our highest ratings in the history of the franchise."
"Consumer enthusiasm for our football titles suggests it's going to be an unprecedented year for the entire EA SPORTS brand," said Frank Gibeau. "September releases include NASCAR Thunder 2004, NHL 2004 and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2004. In October, we'll launch a major marketing campaign to promote breakthrough game play innovations in NBA LIVE 2004. We'll finish up the year in sports with FIFA 2004 and NCAA March Madness 2004 launching in November."